Green home building in a place like Arizona is advantageous for both the homeowners and the environment. The abundance of sun and nature in Arizona has inspired green home builders like Dorn Homes to create stylish, comfortable, convenient and energy efficient homes that would make any homeowner happy.
Contrary to misconceptions, Arizona is not just dust and dirt. Its scenery is both breathtaking and awe-inspiring. Panoramic desert landscapes, clear rivers and majestic mountains abound, offering residents unique experiences, adventures, and stunning sights.
In order to help preserve the stunning environment, green home building is implemented by the best custom home builder in Arizona—Dorn Homes. Dorn’s new Arizona homes are 53-70% more energy efficient than a typical pre-existing home.
Dorn Homes is proud to say that as a great luxury home builder, it scores between 48 to 61 on the Home Energy Rating System or HERS. HERS is a scoring system by the Residential Energy Services Network to measure a home’s energy efficiency and determine if it meets Energy Star guidelines. The lower the HERS index, the more energy efficient the home is. An older pre-existing home averages with a HERS score of 130.
Dorn’s green homes are energy efficient because of these features:
- Natural insulation – A Dorn home has a sealed envelope that reduces heating and cooling costs. This insulation extends up to the roof deck, allowing the ductwork to be inside the heated and cooled space.
- Solar hot water system – This includes an 80 gallon hot water heater, with a closed loop system and a 95% efficient electric backup to ensure a consistent stream of fresh hot water. Water conserving toilets, faucets, and shower heads are included. PEX plumbing waterlines that reduce the amount of heat loss from water in the piping are also used.
- Fresh air intake and full home ventilation system – This creates an environment with healthy fresh air, less dust, fewer odors, and remarkably comfortable and consistent temperatures.
- Special oversized windows – These are incorporated not just for a better view of the scenic surroundings of Arizona, but also to allow light to come in minus the ultraviolet rays. High performance windows help reduce energy loss by 30-50% by helping keep the home cooler during summer and warmer during winter. They also reduce noise transfer.
- SEER AC units and programmable thermostats – These reduce energy by adjusting the temperature according to a series of programmed settings that take effect at different times of the day.
- Highly efficient appliances – Compact fluorescent light bulbs and Energy Star dishwasher are included to create truly green homes from Dorn Homes.